Monday, May 7, 2007

Roadtrip To Winnipeg

Well people I just got back a few hours ago from a roadtrip to Winnipeg, MB. Actually it was a conference in Steinbach that I went to, but we slept in Winnipeg. Anyways...I've been looking forward to this trip for a few weeks as it's been about 10 years since I was last in Winnipeg. Wow it has changed a lot!! We stayed at a place called "Teen Challenge" which is located in the downtown area. There is alot about downtown that has changed since I was there last...more construction as they expand walkways, the old Eatons building is now the "MTS Place" which is a hockey arena where the Manitoba Moose play. Driving out to the perimeter seemed to take a long time...the city sure has grown!! The conference was held on a person's farm, he has converted his barn into a conference centre. I never thought the inside of a barn could look so beautiful...the whole loft area has wall-to-wall carpet, hardwood panelling all around, 2 ceiling fans with lights, several lights along the wall...just beautiful!! All this without the smell of animals lingering in the air. I admire the owner for putting to good use a building that would otherwise just sit there empty. It also makes me realize how much I miss living in the country...the green grass, trees all around, fresh air, wide open spaces. His place is only a couple of KM"s out of town, which is something I like...far enough out of town to have room to roam, but close enough to whip in to 7-11 or Tim's...LOL. This trip was a great bonding time with 4 of the guys from my church. We had a great time getting to know each other alot better than we do now. We had some free time Saturday evening and went and played pool, then went for supper at Montana's. One of the guys is an American, only been here 2 months, and we had a blast teasing him about different things. He did tell us the restaruant is called, "Montana's not Manitoba's." We tried to get him to wear the Moose hat that they get people to wear on their birthday when they go there, but we couldn't talk him into it....so I did. My friend has a pic he's going to send me of me in the Moose hat. This post seems to be getting long...so I'll write more on this later. Enjoy folks!!

No comments: